Originally named “Sacred Heart,” the Villa Maria del Mar Chapel was dedicated in 1906 by the Right Reverend Bishop T.G. Conaty, Bishop of Los Angeles and Monterey.
In 1963, the Sisters of the Holy Names purchased the property, and the Chapel is now available to individuals and groups staying at the Villa Maria del Mar Retreat Center.
In 1986 the Chapel joined the parish of Our Lady Star of the Sea in Santa Cruz, which provides Eucharistic liturgy as part of its weekly schedule.
Today, neighbors, benefactors, and long-time friends of the Holy Names Sisters continue to volunteer their service and support the running of the Chapel.
Weekly Mass is celebrated Saturdays at 4 pm.